MAX materials and MXene materials are new two-dimensional materials that have attracted much attention in recent years, with excellent physical, chemical, and mechanical properties, and have shown broad application prospects in numerous fields. This is a detailed overview of the properties, applications, and development trends of MAX and MXene materials.
What exactly is MAX material?
MAX phase material is actually a layered carbon nitride inorganic non-metallic material comprising M, A, X elements around the periodic table, collectively known as “MAX phase”. M represents transition metal elements, like titanium, zirconium, hafnium, etc., A represents the main group elements, like aluminum, silicon, germanium, etc., X represents carbon or nitrogen. MAX-phase materials, each atomic layer is made up of M, A, X, the 3 components of the alternating composition arrangement, with hexagonal lattice structure. Because of their electrical conductivity of metal and high strength, high-temperature resistance and corrosion resistance of structural ceramics, they are widely used in high-temperature structural materials, high-temperature antioxidant coatings, high-temperature lubricants, electromagnetic shielding as well as other fields.
Properties of MAX material
MAX material is actually a new type of layered carbon nitride inorganic non-metallic material with all the conductive and thermal conductive qualities of metal, comprising three elements with the molecular formula of Mn 1AXn (n=1, 2 or 3), where M refers back to the transition metal, A means the main-group elements, and X refers back to the elements of C or N. The MXene material is actually a graphene-like structure obtained through the MAX phase treatment with two-dimensional transition metal carbides, nitrides, or carbon-nitrides. MAX phases are novel two-dimensional nanomaterials made up of carbon, nitrogen, oxygen, and halogens.
Uses of MAX materials
(1) Structural materials: the excellent physical properties of MAX materials make them have an array of applications in structural materials. For example, Ti3SiC2 is a common MAX material with good high-temperature performance and oxidation resistance, which can be used to manufacture high-temperature furnaces and aero-engine components.
(2) Functional materials: Besides structural materials, MAX materials can also be utilized in functional materials. For example, some MAX materials have good electromagnetic shielding properties and conductivity and may be used to manufacture electromagnetic shielding covers, coatings, etc. Furthermore, some MAX materials also have better photocatalytic properties, and electrochemical properties can be used in photocatalytic and electrochemical reactions.
(3) Energy materials: some MAX materials have better ionic conductivity and electrochemical properties, which may be found in energy materials. As an example, K4(MP4)(P4) is one in the MAX materials rich in ionic conductivity and electrochemical activity, which can be used a raw material to manufacture solid-state electrolyte materials and electrochemical energy storage devices.
Exactly What are MXene materials?
MXene materials really are a new kind of two-dimensional nanomaterials obtained by MAX phase treatment, like the structure of graphene. The surface of MXene materials can interact with more functional atoms and molecules, along with a high specific surface, good chemical stability, biocompatibility, and tunable physical properties, etc, characterize them. The preparation ways of MXene materials usually are the etching therapy for the MAX phase and also the self-templating method, etc. By adjusting the chemical composition and structure of MXene materials, the tuning of physical properties including electrical conductivity, magnetism and optics could be realized.
Properties of MXene materials
MXene materials are a new form of two-dimensional transition metal carbide or nitride materials comprising metal and carbon or nitrogen elements. These materials have excellent physical properties, like high electrical conductivity, high elasticity, good oxidation, and corrosion resistance, etc., along with good chemical stability and the ability to maintain high strength and stability at high temperatures.
Applications of MXene materials
(1) Energy storage and conversion: MXene materials have excellent electrochemical properties and ionic conductivity and therefore are commonly used in energy storage and conversion. As an example, MXene materials can be used as electrode materials in supercapacitors and lithium-ion batteries, improving electrode energy density and charge/discharge speed. Additionally, MXene materials can also be used as catalysts in fuel cells to improve the activity and stability from the catalyst.
(2) Electromagnetic protection: MXene materials have good electromagnetic shielding performance, and conductivity can be used in electromagnetic protection. For instance, MXene materials can be used electromagnetic shielding coatings, electromagnetic shielding cloth, along with other applications in electronic products and personal protection, enhancing the effectiveness and stability of electromagnetic protection.
(3) Sensing and detection: MXene materials have good sensitivity and responsiveness and may be used in sensing and detection. As an example, MXene materials can be used gas sensors in environmental monitoring, which may realize high sensitivity and high selectivity detection of gases. In addition, MXene materials could also be used as biosensors in medical diagnostics and other fields.
Development trend of MAX and MXene Materials
As new 2D materials, MAX and MXene materials have excellent performance and application prospects. Down the road, using the continuous progress of technology and science and also the improving demand for services for applications, the preparation technology, performance optimization, and application regions of MAX and MXene materials is going to be further expanded and improved. These aspects could become the main focus of future research and development direction:
Preparation technology: MAX and MXene materials are mostly prepared by chemical vapor deposition, physical vapor deposition and liquid phase synthesis. Later on, new preparation technologies and methods may be further explored to understand a much more efficient, energy-saving and eco friendly preparation process.
Optimization of performance: The performance of MAX and MXene materials is definitely high, however, there is still room for additional optimization. Down the road, the composition, structure, surface treatment as well as other facets of the material may be studied and improved thorough to enhance the material’s performance and stability.
Application areas: MAX materials and MXene materials have been commonly used in lots of fields, but there are still many potential application areas to become explored. Later on, they can be further expanded, such as in artificial intelligence, biomedicine, environmental protection along with other fields.
To conclude, MAX materials and MXene materials, as new two-dimensional materials with excellent physical, chemical and mechanical properties, show an extensive application prospect in numerous fields. With all the continuous progress of technology and science and also the continuous improvement of application demand, the preparation technology, performance optimization and application parts of MAX and MXene materials will likely be further expanded and improved.
MAX and MXene Materials Supplier
TRUNNANO Luoyang Trunnano Tech Co., Ltd supply high purity and super fine MAX phase powders, such as Ti3AlC2, Ti2AlC, Ti3SiC2, V2AlC, Ti2SnC, Mo3AlC2, Nb2AlC, V4AlC3, Mo2Ga2C, Cr2AlC, Ta2AlC, Ta4AlC3, Ti3AlCN, Ti2AlN, Ti4AlN3, Nb4AlC3, etc. Send us an email or click on the needed products to send an inquiry.